Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New Year - New Diet

So, if you've been following my blog, you know that I've been following Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Furhman (mostly anyway). This is still the most satisfying way I have ever found to eat. I tend to follow it strictly during the week, then we would eat out and I would stray a little. The advantage was that in a year, I managed to maintain my weight steadily. Even if I gained a couple pounds on a weekend with a couple different meal-related events, I would take it back off by Wednesday. This is important for me because it means that if I could get down to an ideal body weight, then I could stably maintain quite easily on Eat to Live. I know this without question.

So here's what happened in my diet world: I decided that I was going to go for broke and follow strictly Dr. Furhman's 6 week plan, and then stay on the diet strictly until I am closer to my ideal weight. Good plan. However, due to a number of events, I got distracted and chose a different course for the rapid weight loss and ideal weight goal attainment. I DO PLAN TO FOLLOW EAT TO LIVE FOR LIFE THOUGH.

I will explain:
So, I'm on Facebook and I see a friend of mine posting various weight loss status updates and he's doing some diet called HCG. I don't pay it any attention as I have no need for fad or dangerous diets at my age, thank you. He loses 27 pounds in 23 days. Not bad, but I'm still unimpressed.

Then, I'm walking downtown and I pass a girl friend I haven't seen for a while and she looks amazing. She's slim and tight looking and if I didn't know better, I'd say she has a personal trainer and been on a strict diet. Lastly, she looks healthy! I'm intrigued and I stop her and ask her what she's been doing. She smiles and says, "HCG. I've lost 50 pounds and I feel awesome." Sadly I have to be somewhere in 2 minutes, so I can't really talk, but I am dumbfounded. I've seen a lot of diets and often I've seen people lose a lot of weight, but they look emaciated and unhealthy. I want to be thinner, but I still want to look good!

I can't stop thinking about my friend all through my daily activities, so I call her as soon as I can, which is around 6:00ish. I grill her about exercise, and she says she's done none. I grill her on the diet and she says it's the easiest diet she's ever done. She started the diet at the end of August last year and lost 35 pounds her first round, and another 15 the second round. Wow.

The moment I get home, I Google "Pounds and Inches book" and find a manuscript that looks unadulterated and I read it that night. I'm completely intrigued and I decide that this is absolutely the diet I need to cure my obesity once and for all.

So begins the beginning of my journey on the last diet I will ever do.

No comments: