Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What is Eat to Live?

I've had a lot of questions from friends about this Eat to Live diet by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I talk about it a lot, and for those tracking my weight, you know I lose .5 to as much as 2 pounds in a day when I actually follow it (which is mostly during the week).

Eat to Live is a scientifically proven lifestyle diet that reduces and eliminates disease, and restores the body's natural ability to heal itself. Based on clinical studies, this way of eating can prevent cancer and remedy most diseases including Diabetes, heart disease and even cancer. I'm not saying it will cure these, but according to clinical studies, and based on thousands of patients of Dr. Fuhrman, this way of eating has been proven to do just that. Which is why I even stumbled across it at all.

Last year was a sad year for me because I lost several friends and acquaintances to cancer, heart attacks or stroke. Mostly cancer though. It was a surreal and heartbreaking year for me, and something that I'd rather not see a repeat of. It was also a wake-up call for me. Two of the women that died of cancer were both young, beautiful and vibrant. They were both what I would consider healthy, and losing them was a shock to me.

Anyway, this was what made Eat to Live appeal to me. I wanted a lifestyle that would see my body healthy for a long and active life, and according to what I read in the book, this was it. All based on clinical scientific data.

Okay, with that said, the diet is so simple. People who follow it are called Nutritarians. Not vegetarians or whatever, but actually Nutritarians. A Nutritarian is someone who eats a nutritionally dense diet, which is what Eat to Live is.

You should read the book, Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman for yourself. You can start at his website, or pick the book up on Amazon. It's a little technical, but it's worth the read. He covers every fad diet there is and the facts and science that relates to them. It's not just a weight loss diet, it's a lifestyle that prevents and eliminates disease of the body. But you can lose a LOT of weight on it quickly, too.

Breakfasts:
On a typical day, I eat fruit for breakfast (like a fruit bowl from Publix) or I make my own with bananas, watermelon, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, oranges, tangerines, mangoes, pineapple, apples, etc. Any fruit I want in my fruit salad really. There are no restrictions. Just the recommended minimum of 4 fruit servings a day.


Most days I have a green smoothie, though. It holds me through to lunch better than just the fruit by itself. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Trust me. I will take some frozen banana, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, and a big ol' heaping mound of fresh baby spinach (yep) and blend them all together. You can not taste the spinach and the smoothie is delicious. Sometimes I make it with frozen peaches, mangoes, pineapple and banana (always with the spinach though!)


Lunch:
For lunch I make a BIG salad. Seriously. Not some mealy little wimpy side salad, but a BIG-ASS salad. The salad is the main course of the meal for me and it varies from day to day, depending on my mood.


It might be romaine lettuce with tomatoes, red onions, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, sprouts, sunflower seeds, avocado or a bit of low fat feta cheese (though Dr. Fuhrman does NOT recommend cheese whatsoever) . I put a capful of balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar depending on the flavor I want.


Or I might feel like something more summery and have a salad with mixed greens, cucumbers, strawberries, cranberries, apple slices or mandarin orange bits and crushed walnuts with a capful of balsamic vinegar.

Or I might have a more traditional salad.


Regardless, I always have a ginormous salad and I eat it first because it is the main course of the meal, and it is usually quite filling.

I also have black beans. I love them and there are plenty of vitally healthful reasons to eat them! I make them with chopped white onions, dices tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and cumin. Most days I do not eat them with brown rice, but some days I do. I eat at least a cup of beans each day.

Dinner:
I have a similar salad for dinner as well. I might have a Caesar instead, without croutons though.

Or I might have some cooked veggies and grilled tilapia or chicken.

I will have chicken or fish a couple times a week, but that's about all. I will eat red meat on the rare occasion only (as in once every couple months maybe).

Dessert:
If I'm really craving sweets, I'll have some fresh fruit that is in season, like strawberries or cherries, or I will make a smoothie with frozen mango and frozen peaches and banana (OMG, YUM!!!). That smoothie has the texture of ice cream sorbet and is scrumptious.

Lastly, I will have a small handful of raw sprouted almonds as well. I don't feel deprived at all.

I buy nearly everything organic when possible, especially spinach, strawberries, blueberries. My chicken is free range, anti-biotic and hormone free, and when feasible, organic.

My only weakness is eating out with my hubby on date nights or double dates with friends, but that's getting better the longer I eat this way, I make healthier choices when we eat out.

But that's an example of a day for me following Eat to Live. I lose weight and I very much enjoy it. There are weird random benefits that come with eating this way, too. Besides the easy weight loss, I mean. Like the fact that you will have healthy bowl movements at least twice a day (I do anyway), or the fact that your sh*t won't stink (seriously). Because of all the healthy raw fruits and veggies, the need for water seems greatly diminished, yet I'll go pee like I'm drinking lots of water. I sleep better than when I used to eat whatever as well.

Anyway, I do recommend it.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Amazing! I ate similarly to this before I was pregnant and lost like 30 lbs without even thinking about it. Inspiring. Hmm...