Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Learning along the way.

So, I learned a valuable lesson over the weekend with regards to my diet and overall health. Last diet post I mentioned that I was down by 10 pounds and going strong. Well, I had a hiccup over the weekend, but I learned a valuable lesson, so it wasn't a total loss.

I should back up to Friday to create the whole picture. So, we waited way too long to eat on Friday, and to make matters worse, we needed to go grocery shopping BAD, which leads to the remaining "hiccup" over the weekend. Grant wanted Mexican and I have to say that I do have a soft spot for decent Mexican food. We went out to dinner relatively late and starving (which is never a good idea) and we kicked off dinner with a margarita (not really allowed on the diet, but it was one of those weeks). I ordered all vegetarian-type food, but there was nothing but a little lettuce as garnish and some guacamole, so it was definitely nutrient deficient.

For the first time in 10 days, I slept badly. I woke up at 4:00am aching and miserable. I took some calcium-magnesium and went back to bed. Unfortunately, Saturday was even worse. We woke up at 7:30am to do our neighborhood spring street clean-up. We grabbed an apple each and headed out. It was hot and humid and we were out there for nearly 3 hours (since only 6 other residents came out to help, argh). Anyway, after the street clean up, I came home and showered and then had to go out to meet my daughter at 11:15am. We were out of fruit and quick veggies were also depleted. So I dashed out to meet my daughter and had not eaten anything since that last scraggily-ass apple at 7:30am. This was bad. I had the shakes, but figured I was having lunch with my mom at 12:30pm - I could last.

I met my daughter at the salon and at about 12:15, my mom called to cancel our lunch date. Damn. That meant I either had to eat alone, or go home and find something to eat. I went home. Besides, my house was mid a few construction/repair/improvements in anticipation of my anniversary event, and I needed to be there to guide it anyway.

I threw some random foods together, but nothing like my big, yummy salads or anything even close to that nutrient density. After that, it was project after project and before I knew it, it was after 8:00pm and I was starving again. We grabbed our 13 year old son and headed to a local Indian Restaurant. We finally ate at 9:00 or so, and by then I had eaten nan, samousas and papadon, so I had officially gone off the deep end. I followed it with vegetable curry and a little butter chicken I stole from my son. It was divine. Unfortunately, I had another sleepless night.

Leasson learned: make sure I always have LOTS of food available and DO NOT allow my kitchen to run dry before shopping. It's so easy to stick to the diet when I have the food there.

By Monday, I had gained back 1.5 pounds. Crap!

No comments: