Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Some women have bigger boobs than they think

I had the most astonishing revelation recently. I strongly believe that there are lots of women who have bigger boobs than they think they have.

Here's a perfect example:
A girl friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go shopping with her because she needed to get some new bras. She pointed out that the one she had was stretched out and didn't fit right. I could tell even through her clothes that this was an accurate observation on her part. I asked her what size bra she wore, and was surprised when she told me she was a 34A-B. I asked her if she'd ever been properly fitted for a bra before. She seemed taken aback and said that it had never even occurred to her. Wow! Then she told me that she'd always been an A or B cup, depending on the bra. No way! I told her that I would be very surprised if she was less than a C cup. She looked at me dubiously and laughed somewhat abashed. "Impossible." was all she said.

With the challenge set before me, we were off to Victoria's Secret to find out which one of us would be right. I was excited for my friend because I knew she was wrong and I was looking forward to helping her find her way to a more comfortable fitting bra that celebrated her instead of squashing her to death. We arrived at VS and flagged down one of their beanpole, model-looking sales associates, and I announced quite proudly that my friend had never been fitted before and we'd like to see what size she ought to be wearing. Sure enough, the sales associate proclaimed that my friend was indeed a 36C. Needless to say, my friend was beside herself as she rummaged through the expanded selection of bras. Forty five minutes later, we left VS with bags in hand and a grin on our faces from ear to ear. The whole while she kept saying, "I had no idea!", "Oh my gosh!", "these are so much more comfortable!", "Wow. I have boobs!" and a number of other variations of the same. Later she reported that her husband was just as thrilled as she was. *big grin*

The funny thing is that I had a similar experience with my mother a few years back. One day she was complaining about how bras are never comfortable. How she feels constricted and squished all the time. I asked her if she was sure she was wearing the right size. She insisted that she had been a 34B for more than 40 years and that, "yes", she was certain. Again I asked her if she had been fitted before. She said no, but she was certain of her size. Now it was my turn to be dubious. You see, my grandmother was a DD, and it just so happens that I am too. I found it impossible to believe that she could be as small as a B in this particular family line. I told her so, and I suggested that she get fitted "just to be sure". Off she went to Victoria Secret, and later that day she called me to tell me that she was indeed a 34D and that she had in fact been squishing her poor boobs for the better part of her life.

OMG! I can't help but wonder how many women are wearing the wrong size bra and don't even know it. Maybe there are lots of women who don't need boob jobs and don't even realize it. That would be interesting to see.

Anyway, the moral of the story is:
Get properly fitted for a bra because your boobs just may be bigger than you think!

No comments: