Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 10 - Lost 10 Pounds

Okay, I have to say that this is the easiest diet I have ever done! I don't feel deprived. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel like I'm having a melt down. In fact, I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all! Of course waking up and finding myself a pound or so lighter is a bonus, too!

One of the things that Dr. Furhman mentioned in his book (Eat to Live) is that my taste buds would change and that my cravings for crap food would dissipate (he didn't actually call it crap food, but it was implied). I'm happy to report that he was correct on both counts. It's like my taste buds have been asleep for the past 38 years and now they have come alive. I love the many varied flavor combinations that are available in salads alone and I never imagined that making a salad the main dish of my meal would be such a delight. As far as cravings go, they are virtually non-existent. In fact, it seems my taste for meat is greatly diminishing altogether.

Anyway, I'm loving it so far. There are a couple additional bonuses I have to report as well. First, I have a condition that is called a "geographic tongue", which is more descriptive than technical. For years my tongue has had cracks and indents and markings that hurt, they actually look like a geographic or map on my tongue (I know, gross. sorry). This is supposed to be an indicator that I need B1, but you should know that I have taken every kind of B1 and B Complex supplement over the years (along with dozens of others). I've gotten it to be mild, but never entirely gone. When I started this diet, I decided to stop taking supplements just to see if my body could heal based on nutrition alone. As of today, my tongue is almost clear and it doesn't hurt. This is the best it's been in years.

Lastly, I am sleeping better because my dreams now are fairly calm (I always dream), which is a big deal because I went for months and months having bad dreams. They aren't really nightmares, but more like really stressful dreams that go on the whole night. For example, I dreamed that Grant and I were at a restaurant with a City Official (apparently we took him to dinner), but the waitress took forever to come. The whole time I was worried that he was annoyed. Eventually she came over, but she was slow and seemed like she didn't understand what we were trying to order. Then I waited the whole night and she never brought our food. Other people came and went and they ate, but we never did. I ended up being irritated the whole night! Another night I dreamed that my granddaughter and I were walking along a very narrow wall with a 100 foot drop on either side and she refused to hold my hand. That dream went on the whole night! Nothing happened to her, but the stress and fear for her safety felt just like it would in the real world. I would wake up after these dreams exhausted and feeling like I hadn't slept. This past week my dreams have been much calmer. They're still weird, but not upsetting or stressful in any way.

Anyway, this is a longer post than I meant to write originally, but I had to share all of it!

No comments: